You can always rely on third party developers for updates and custom ROMs if cannot wait for the official updates. And if you happen to own Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini then you are among the lucky ones who can update their device to Android 4.4.2 KitKat with the help of CyanogenMod 11 (CM11).
This tutorial will explain how you can update Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini to Android 4.4.2, so be sure to follow each step with caution to avoid any damage.
Note: The tutorial described below is only for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT i8190 and should not be used on any other device. Follow the instructions carefully to avoid any harm or damage to your device, in any case Android Veterans will not be liable.
Things To Do Before Installing CM11
- Start with making backup of all your apps, music and other stuff.
- And also the backup of your text messages and contacts.
- Make sure that you have enabled the USB debugging which can be found in Developer Option under the Settings.
- Your device must be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery installed in it.
- And lastly, make sure that battery is above 70% charged.
How to Update Galaxy S3 Mini to Android 4.4.2
1) First of all, download the zip files and move them to your Sdcard with the help of USB cable. Do not extract the zip files.
2) Now remove the USB cable and and switch your S3 Mini off.
3) Go in to the Recovery Mode, to do that press and hold the Volume Up button, Home key and Power button all at the same time. Release the buttons as soon as you see the Samsung logo.
4) Once entered into Recovery Mode, head to Backup and Restore and then select Backup. This will perform Nandroid backup and will come in handy if anything goes wrong.
5) Now clear out the data by selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Once the process is complete, select Wipe Cache Partition and lastly go to Advanced and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache.
6) Now go back to the main menu and select Install Zip From SDcard and then select Choose Zip From SDcard. Browse to the location where you put the CyanogenMod 11 zip file and install it.
7) Repeat the Step 6 to install Gapps as well.
8) Now select Reboot System Now from the main menu. The first time boot may take few minutes so be patient.
You have now updated your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini to Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware. Enjoy!