Hi folks, KitKat 4.4.4 official is not announced for Galaxy S3 I9300 yet. But GS3 can still be updated to Android 4.4.4 KitKat through OmniROM. OmniROM includes the features of Android KitKat 4.4.4. So, don’t wait, update your device right now and see what your device is capable of.
Let’s Get Started:
In this tutorial, we will learn to update Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat via OmniROM. The tutorial is specifically for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 international version. We recommend you to go to settings>About to verify the correct model number before continuing with the tutorial. Otherwise, error will arise and it can result in bricking of Galaxy S3 device.
Charge the device to full to avoid any interruption during the flashing process. Please, note that device cannot be put on charging while updating.
Before updating a device, make habit of creating backup of important data. Click here to create backup of contacts, text messages, apps, important files and gallery items.
Install ClockworkMod recovery tool:
In order to update the device, we will be requiring clockworkMod CWM recovery tool to update the device. Click here to install CWM recovery tool in Galaxy S3.
2 files will be used while updating the device, Kitkat 4.4.4 Custom ROM and Google Application Package. Download and save them on desktop. Do not extract them as .zip files will be used in clockworkMod recovery tool.
1) OmniROM- KitKat 4.4.4 (Download the one with .zip format)
Remember to download the latest ROM. Copy the above files in internal memory of the Galaxy S3 device. Remember not to extract them.
The process of updating the device is very simple. First, device will be rebooted in clockworkModrecovery tool. Then backup of existing ROM will be created. Device will then be reset to factory defaults and lastly, 4.4.4 based OmniROM custom ROM will be installed.
When everything mentioned above is done, continue with the tutorial to update Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat.
Update Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat via OmniROM:
1) Turn off the device and reboot in CWM recovery mode. When the device in turned off completely, tap and hold Volume Up+Power+Menu button all at the same time until device enters in recovery mode.
2) Move straight to backup and restore option to create backup of currently installed ROM.
3) Now from Main recovery menu, go to wipe data/factory reset option and reset the device to minimize the risk of failure during flashing the custom ROM. Go back to main recovery menu.
4) Select “install zip form SDcard” followed by “chose zip from SDcard”. Browse and locate OmniROM file already copied in phone’s storage and select it. Confirm the installation to update the device to Android 4.4.3.
5) When CWM recovery tool is done with installing Omni ROM, again go to “install zip from SDcard” and select GApps to install all official apps of Google in the newly installed custom ROM.
6) When you are done with all above steps, reboot the device in normal mode.
Congratulations! You have now updated your device to Android 4.4.4 Kitkat via OmniROM Custom ROM. Enjoy the latest features of Kitkat 4.4.4 on your Galaxy S3 device before official one comes out. Share your experience with us in comments below and do let us know if you need any help.
If after flashing the custom ROM, device doesn’t reboot and goes to boot loop, enter in CWM recovery mode and go to Wipe data/factory reset option and wipe all data. The Galaxy S3 device will now boot into new custom ROM successfully.
Restoration of Previous ROM
If anytime you want to get back to previous ROM, from CWM recovery tool select backup and restore option, then select restore and chose the Nandroid backup already created and stored in Phone’s memory. Your device will be restored to the Previous ROM.