OmniROM also makes its way and releases the Android 4.4.4 Kitkat based custom ROM. Samsung galaxy S3 I9305 can now be updated to Android 4.4.4 kitkat via OmniROM. Galaxy S3 users will be able to enjoy the latest features of kitkat 4.4.4 as well as the features of OmniROM after the update.
Let’s Get Started:
In this tutorial, we will be updating SGS3 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat via custom ROM called OmniROM. Please, direct to settings>About to verify the correct model number of I9305 (international version) before continuing with the tutorial.
Please note that Galaxy S3 cannot be charged during flashing therefore, charge your device to full before you begin to update.
Backup is very important task before updating or rooting the device therefore, make habit of creating backup of important data. Click here to create backup of contacts, text messages, apps, important files and gallery items.
Install ClockworkMod recovery tool:
In order to update the device, clockworkMod CWM recovery has to be installed in the device. Click here to install CWM recovery tool in Galaxy S3. (Skip the Rooting part)
1) Omni ROM– KitKat 4.4.4 ( Download the latest one)
Above 2 files will be used while updating the device. Download and save them in the internal memory of Galaxy S3. Do not extract them as .zip files will be used in clockworkMod recovery tool.
The process of updating the device is pretty simple. First, device will be rebooted in clockworkMod recovery tool. Then backup of existing ROM will be created. Device will then be reset to factory defaults and lastly, 4.4.4 based OmniROM custom ROM will be installed.
When everything mentioned above is done, continue with the tutorial to update Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat. Please, make sure to read carefully as each step is important.
Update Galaxy S3 I9305 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat via OmniROM:
1) Switch off the device and then boot in clockworkMod recovery tool. Press and hold Volume Up, Power and Menu button at the same time until device enters in CWM recovery mode.
2) Move straight to backup and restore option to create backup of currently installed ROM. Select the backup and restore option followed by backup and create the NANdroid backup of existing ROM. It will enable you to restore the current ROM anytime.
3) From Main recovery menu of CWM, go to wipe data/factory reset option and reset the device. It will reduce the risk of clash between the previous and new ROM. Now go back to main menu of recovery tool.
4) Select “install zip form SDcard” followed by “chose zip from SDcard”. Browse and locate OmniROM file already copied in phone’s storage and select it. Confirm the installation and wait until the flashing process completes.
5) When CWM recovery tool is done with flashing OmniROM, again go to “install zip from SDcard” and select GApps to install all official apps of Google in the newly installed custom ROM.
6) Once everything’s done, reboot the device and wait until Galaxy S3 boots into newly installed custom ROM.
That’s it. The device has now been updated to Android 4.4.4 Kitkat. You can now enjoy the latest features of KitKat 4.4.4 on your Samsung Galaxy S3. Enjoy the latest custom ROM and do ask us if you have any questions.
Most of the time after the custom ROM update, device doesn’t reboot and goes to boot loop. If you ever face such situation, enter in CWM recovery mode and go to Wipe data/factory reset option and wipe all data. The Galaxy S3 will now boot into new custom ROM successfully.
Restoration of Previous ROM:
If anytime you want to get back to previous ROM, from CWM recovery tool select backup and restore option, then select restore and chose the NANdroid backup already created and stored in Phone’s memory. Previous ROM will get restored.