If you are wondering how you can unlock Xperia Z and Xperia ZL bootloader then you have to the right place. While there several benefits of unlocking bootloader such as you can install custom ROMs/Kernels but it can also be risky.
Risks of Unlocking Bootloader
- Unlocking Bootloader will wipe all of you data including data partitions, stored data and all of your settings. All of your stuff on your Sdcard such as music, photos etc. will be formatted.
- Your DRM keys will be lost forever and those of you who what loosing DRM keys mean, it means losing Braiva Engine. So it is better to backup TA before unlocking bootloader. To backup TA read XDA’s post.
- Unlocking Bootloader also caused some devices to brick after FOTA (Firmware Over the Air) update. So, do it on your own risk.
Things To Do Before You Unlock Xperia Z and ZL Bootloader
- First of all check your IMEI number. To do that dial *#06# from your Xperia device and note down the number, exclude the dashes.
- Now download the Fastboot.rar and extract it.
How to Unlock Xperia Z and Xperia ZL Bootloader
1) First thing you need to do is go to Sony’s Website and prudently read all the instructions and information.
2) Once you have read all the information and you are satisfied with it click on “Start Unlocking the Bootloader” at the bottom of the page.
3) Now check whether bootloader can be unlocked on your device or not. For that open the dialer on your Xperia and type *#*#7378423#*#*. This will open up Service Menu. Go to Service Info then Configuration and then Rooting Status. If it says that unlocking bootloader is allowed then follow the steps below otherwise your device cannot be unlocked.
4) After this Bootloader unlocking verification, go down to the bottom of the page and click on “Continue.” Verify your action on the next page, accept both of the Legal Terms and you will finally reach the “Create Unlock Bootloader Key Request” page.
5) On the “Create Unlock Bootloader Key Request” page provide your IMEI number, your name and your email ID and click “Submit”. If IMEI number does not work, try removing the last digit.
6) You will receive the Unlock Key in your Email. Be sure to save that Key.
7) Now open the Fastboot folder that you extracted earlier from the package and press Shift + Right Click anywhere on the screen and select “Open Command Windows Here.”
8) Connect your device to your PC in Fastboot mode (switch off your phone. Press and hold the Volume Up button and connect it to PC via USB cable without letting go the Volume Up button.)
9) Type fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version in the cmd window and if it returns a value, probably 0.5, then it means the device is connected properly.
10) Now type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and remove the “KEY” and type in your own unlock key which you received in Email.
11) You have now unlocked Xperia Z or Xperia ZL bootloader.
For more information and Q&A regarding unlocking bootloader on Xperia Z and ZL visit this post at XDA-developers forum.