Galaxy S7 Edge is the latest powerful smartphone from top smartphone manufacturer Samsung. It was launched in February 2016. It packs in 5.5-inches 1440p display with Corning Gorilla Glass 4 along with Snapdragon 820 processor and 4 GB RAM.It has got 12 MP primary camera and 5 MP selfie camera.Its internal storage is 32/64 GB that is expandable via SD card. The device has got non-removable Li-Ion3600mAh battery. It runs on Android 6.0 by default. However with Helios custom ROM, you will be able to get Android Nougat on the device.
In this tutorial, we have put together all the necessary steps and materials required to update Galaxy S7 Edge to Android Nougat via HELIOS custom ROM. Don’t miss out on any step as each and every instruction is important to successful installation of Android Nougat custom ROM in Galaxy S7 Edge. We always recommend our readers to backup the content before continuing with the tutorial. If anything goes wrong, the option of reverting back to previous state is always available.
In this section you will learn to create backup of all contents of your Android Device including the applications. Anything can go wrong at anytime therefore, follow the below tutorials to create the backup of data:
- Follow the Link to create backup of text messages and contacts.
- Follow the Link to create Backup of installed applications.
- Follow the Link to backup stored files, Audio, Photos and Videos.
- Note down the other settings like of GPRS and Multi-Media messages APN configurations.
If you have ClockworkMod CWM recovery tool installed in your device then we recommend you to go in recovery mode and create NANdroid backup of existing ROM. The restoration of NanDroid backup will automatically bring back all the applications, files, contacts, messages and settings.
Galaxy S7 Edge USB drivers:
USB drivers are needed to create connection between computer and the Android device. Make sure to install Galaxy S7 Edge USB drivers in your personal computer. While updating device, you may need to connect Android device with computer therefore, USB drivers are must needed thing. Here is the link to download USB drivers:
- Download Galaxy S7 Edge drivers fromHERE
- We recommend you to charge your device to at least 80% before going with the update. Updating a device takes time and we don’t want you to brick your device just because of low battery.
- The tutorial is specifically for the variant mentioned in the Topic. This tutorial is only forGalaxy S7 EdgeG935F An attempt to apply this update on any other device may lead to permanent damage to your device. Therefore, make sure the correct model number and make of your device before continuing with the tutorial.
- All downloaded software and ROMs belong to the developer. We do not endorse the functions performed by the software.
ClockWorkMod Recovery Tool:
Make sure that you have replaced the official Android recovery tool with the ClockWorkMod recovery tool. CWM supports additional features and lets you install third party Apps and ROMs. Therefore, for the Update to be applied to the device you need to have CWM recovery tool installed in your Android Phone. Follow the below link to install ClockWorkMod recovery tool in Galaxy S7 Edge.
- Tutorial to Install ClockworkMOD recovery tool in Galaxy S7 Edge
All set! Now let’s move to the step by step guide to update the device to Android Nougat.
Download the below given files and save them on your desktop. Connect Galaxy S7 Edge with computer and move the downloaded files to root directory of SDcard of your device. We will be using them during the step by step guide.
Follow the below instructions:
- Disconnect the USB cable and turn off your Galaxy S7 Edge.
- Switch off your phone and restart your device in Recovery mode. To do so, Press and hold Volume Up, Power and Home buttons to boot into RECOVERY.
- Once the device is in CWM recovery tool, go to Backup and restore option and create Nandroid Backup. After creating backup, go back to main recovery menu.
- Now move to wipe data/factory reset option and confirm the action. This will restore the device to factory defaults and lessen the chances of clash between old and new ROM.
- Now move to advanced option from main recovery menu and perform the “Wipe dalvik cache” action. Once done. Go back to main menu.
- Now we are all set to update Galaxy S7 Edge to Android Nougat custom ROM. Select “install zip from sdcard” followed by” chose zip from sdcard”. Navigate to where you copied the Android Nougat ROM, select it and confirm the installation by pressing power button. The ROM installation process will begin.
- After ROM is installed, it is time to install the Google Applications. Repeat the above step again and this time select GApps package and install them.
- Once you are done installing everything that was needed, go back to main recovery menu and restart the device in normal mode by selecting “reboot System now”.
Your device will now reboot and newly installed ROM will be loaded. You now have Android Nougat custom ROM installed in your Galaxy S7 Edge. Enjoy the latest features of Android Nougat on your device.
Most of the time after the custom ROM update, device doesn’t reboot and goes to boot loop. If you ever face such situation, enter in CWM recovery mode and go to Wipe data/factory reset option and wipe all data. The device will now boot into new custom ROM successfully.
Restoration of Previous ROM:
If anytime you want to get back to previous ROM, from CWM recovery tool select backup and restore option, then select restore and chose the NANdroid backup already created and stored in Phone’s memory. Previous ROM will get restored.
For any queries, you can write to us in comments section below!