HTC One M8 was launched back in March 2014. The powerful smartphone packs in 5-inches 1080p display with 2 GB RAM and dual 4 MP camera. The phone is powered by a quad-core Snapdragon 801 processor with each core clocked at 2.3 GHz. The device has got non-removable Li-Po 2600 mAh battery. The handset has received official Android 5.0 Lollipop update. The device is sure to receive Android M update this year. However, you can enjoy Android M right now on your device with CyanogenMod 13 custom ROM.
Let’s Get Started:
The guide is for HTC One M8. Don’t try the guide on any other model as it may cause the device to brick. In order to check out the variant of your device, head to Settings > About.
One surely don’t want to lose the contents of your device. Therefore, it’s better to back up your device before performing the operation. It will also help you to revert back in case of any issues while upgrading. In order to perform the backup, click on this link,
Install USB Drivers:
You should have latest HTC USB drivers to establish the connection between your PC and smartphone. Download and install the latest HTC USB drivers from here.
Enable USB Debugging Mode:
Make sure to enable USB Debugging mode on your device. This can be done by heading to Settings > About and tapping 7 times on build number to enable Developer’s options. Afterwards, head to Developer Options to enable the USB debugging mode.
Install ClockWorkMod Recovery tool:
In order to upgrade HTC One M8 with custom ROM, you must have CWM recovery tool. Install the tool to enable the device to upgrade its OS via custom ROM. Click HERE to check out instructions to install CM13 on HTC One M8.
Also, make sure to have sufficient amount of battery in your device. More than 80 percent battery life is recommended for continuous and smooth operation.
You need to download these two files in order to upgrade HTC One M8 to Android M. The files will be in compressed format. DO NOT EXTRACT them as CWM recovery tool will be using .zip files. Here are the required files:
The whole guide is based on these two steps; booting the device via Clockwork Mod recovery tool and then flashing the custom ROM through it.
Steps to upgrade HTC One M8 to Android M via CM13 custom ROM:
- Connect your HTC One M8 to PC via USB cable.
- Move the downloaded files to the phone’s SDcard root.
- Switch off your device and disconnect it form the PC.
- Boot your device in CWM recovery mode. (Press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons until boot menu appears, now navigate to RECOVERY using Volume keys and press Power key to select)
- Now, tap on ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option. (Use Volume keys to navigate and Power keys to select options)
- Select ‘wipe cache partition’ to clear the device memory.
- Now, navigate back to CWM recovery and choose ‘Advanced’.
- From ‘Advanced’ option, tap on ‘wipe dalvik cache’. This will avoid any future loop issues.
- Head back to CWM recovery and tap on ‘install zip from SDcard’ option.
- Select ‘choose zip from SDcard’ and choose the Android M .zip file.
- Wait for the installation process to complete.
- Once completed, head back to CWM recovery and tap on ‘install zip from SDcard’.
- Now, tap on GApps in order to install all Google apps in the newly installed custom ROM.
- Once done, simply restart your HTC One M8.
Your device will take approximately 5-8 minutes to reboot. Once restarted, you can enjoy Android M on HTC One M8.
Hope you like the latest Android M build. Don’t miss to share the tutorial with your friends. As it is not an official build of Android M, your device may come across performance and other issues. If you gets tired of the buggy experience, you can simply move back. In order to revert back to previous OS, boot your device again in CWM recovery. Tap on ‘backup and restore’ and select the previous available ROM backup to revert back.